Tuesday 25 September 2007

I always suspected I had a small left Heschl's Gyrus


If the latest issue of Cerebral Cortex hasn't popped through your letterbox yet, you will probably have missed Patrick Wong's (and others) paper entitled: 'Volume of Left Heschl's Gyrus and Linguistic Pitch Learning'.

Basically, Patrick and his team tested the ability of adult native English speakers to learn tonal languages e.g. Chinese. He found a correlation between the size of the left brain Heschl's Gyrus and aptitude to learn these types of languages - the smaller the HG, the harder it was for the students to pick up the language skills.

Here I am wondering why I am making little to no progress with my Chinese classes when, in fact I am, most likely, genetically pre-disposed not to speak Chinese. It's probably an amazing feat that I speak as much as I do given the size of my left HG. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

giles f said...

i have never heard a more far-fetched alternative to 'dog ate my homework' in my life
Giles

Ben & Tac in Beijing said...

That's the other thing I forgot to mention..

Anonymous said...

Good words.